“The only disability in life is a bad attitude.” -Scott Hamilton

"The only disability in life is a bad attitude." - Scott Hamilton

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

2 Stories

I have two things to share with you tonight. The first story actually happened to a friend of ours through the Eastern Pennsylvania Down Syndrome Center. Dorney Park denied their daughter, Isabella, entrance onto a ride. Please keep in mind that her mother was going to ride with her. The attendant didn't want to take the time to really find out if Isabella was capable of riding. I totally understand that rules are in place for a reason but this person wasn't giving this family a chance. Click on Isabella's picture to read the news story. Also, I have a HUGE problem with GQ magazine right now. They recently ran a story about the 40 worst dressed cities in America. Okay. Not a topic that would normally interest me but this article not only got my attention, it all but smacked me in the face. The writer of the article wrote, "Boston suffers from a kind of Down Syndrome, where a little extra end up ruining everything." So here is what I want to know. WHERE was this guys editor? WHY did he find that analogy funny/clever? WHY did he think it would be acceptable? I'm normally (in my opinion) pretty level headed about these things. "These" things meaning issue's regarding Down Syndrome. Even the Dorney Park story - if the attendant was unsure what to do, then keeping Isabella off the ride was the right thing. They didn't want her to get hurt. Safety first is what's drilled into their heads. I think there was a better way of handling it, like calling a supervisor for help. If I would have been in that situation with Raymond, I would have requested that a supervisor be called. But this GQ story, REALLY makes me MAD. How horribly insensitive and outrageous. The article was revised but GQ has thus far not released any type of public apology. I think they should.

1 comment:

Ellie said...

I read about Isabella's problem at Dorney Park earlier and was so sad for her that she couldn't ride. I think her mom was right in wanting an apology. That GQ aricle didn't make me sad, it made me so mad about the insensitive comment. He never met an awesome little Raymond who has more guts than anyone I know!