“The only disability in life is a bad attitude.” -Scott Hamilton

"The only disability in life is a bad attitude." - Scott Hamilton

Thursday, November 3, 2011

This Really Irks Me!

Thank you to everyone for hanging in with me for the 31 for 21 Campaign! I'm sure I will still be posting pretty often with the holidays and all of Raymond's procedures just around the corner. Speaking of procedures, I have a grip. Yep. Sorry, but I need to talk about this.

Anyone who has a child who's in the hospital frequently gets pretty used to the routine. We are used to seeing certain things and have come accustom to the "normal" things that go on there. One "normal" thing that drives me crazy, I mean, REALLY CRAZY, is all the waste. There is SO much wasted at hospitals that could benefit so many people.


For example, diapers. While Raymond was in the hospital this last time, the surgeons wanted to make sure Raymond's stomach was completely empty. So the nurse hooked up Raymond's extension tube and put a preemie diaper on the end of it to catch whatever drained out. She used one preemie diaper. That pack of diaper's, missing one, now gets thrown away. That is crazy. Think of all the people and organizations that could use these diapers. Someone should do something about this. I think it is so ridiculous. (Just as an FYI, I took the pack of diapers for Isabella to use with her baby dolls and stuffed animals.)


Also, at St. Christopher's Hospital for Children in Philadelphia, all of the baby blankets used in the NICU or anywhere in the hospital, get thrown away! They do not have a laundry service for them. The hospital only washes sheets, pillow cases and gowns. There are tons of shelters, basically right outside their doors, that could use them. So many single mothers or entire families at these facilities could benefit from the donation of these blankets (and diapers). There is always a need for these things, especially at this time of the year. It kills me.


When Raymond was in the NICU at St. Chris, he was given a Boppy pillow. When he was transferred back to St. Lukes, the nurses forgot to put it in the ambulance. Guess what? Yep. It was thrown away. Now I understand that some children and infants have illnesses that you wouldn't want to donate these items. But for the kids who were just born a little too early or a young child with a broken arm, a little one getting a simple procedure done, their items should be able to be donated. Every time we went back to St. Chris' NICU, Raymond got another Boppy Pillow, even though we told them we didn't want it. We already had two. So either we took the pillow, which was still sealed in the original package, or it got thrown away. We donated three Boppy pillows to the Ronald McDonald House during that time. But can you imagine throwing them away???


Basically, if it's in the patients room, opened or unopened, and the patient doesn't take it, it gets thrown away. "It's" being diaper's, blankets, formula, misc. medical supplies & so many other things. I know people personally who fight everyday with their child's insurance company to get the items that these hospitals are throwing away. Doesn't that just make you sick?


I know there are a lot of liability issues or whatever, but think of all the stuff getting thrown away that so many people, especially in this economy, would be grateful for. It's just something that bothers me so much. I'm a busy person, but I'm seriously going to look into this. Maybe there is something I can do at Hershey Medical Center since that's where Raymond gets his medical care. There is a Ronald McDonald House across the street for heaven's sake! They would be thrilled to have those items. I'll let you know what I can figure out.


Until Next Time!


Lots of Love,


1 comment:

Ellie said...

Oh, Erica, I agree with you 100%. I will write a letter addressing this issue to anyone you think should get it. (govt official? hospital director?) Think of all the women's shelters who could use some of these things for their children. Hotels throw out those little shampoo, soap, lotion bottles. Homeless shelters could really use them if they were donated.