“The only disability in life is a bad attitude.” -Scott Hamilton

"The only disability in life is a bad attitude." - Scott Hamilton

Thursday, March 10, 2011

First Dentist Appointment

On Monday, Isabella and Raymond had a dentist appointment. In the waiting room, there is a terrarium with a bearded lizard. Raymond was extremely interested in it. He kept pointing at it and was trying to show it to me. I didn't tell Daddy how interested he was in the lizard. I'll just wait for him to read this. I'm sure we will be having a discussion about getting one. Some of you may remember that Isabella asked Santa Claus for a lizard. Santa didn't bring one. But now, Santa Claus is out numbered, 3 to 1. Oh boy!

Isabella's teeth looked great. She loves the dentist!


This was Raymond's first dentist appointment. He didn't really like when Dr. Miller had his hands in his mouth but he didn't yell or cry. Dr. Miller said Raymond has a class 3 bite. That means that Raymond's top jaw is smaller than his bottom. He will have an under bite. I told him he's going to look like Winston, Pappy's English Bulldog. : )

Dr. Miller explained that this bite will make it more difficult for Raymond to learn how to eat because everything is essentially backwards. He said that children with this type of bite also have a lot of trouble with ear infections because air goes right into the ear canals through the mouth causing fluid to build up. He also told me that this bite causing the person to be a mouth breather. Raymond already is a mouth breather and children with Down Syndrome tend to have trouble with ear infections. Double whammy for poor Raymond. This bite also causes trouble with the teeth coming in on top. There isn't enough room for all of his adult teeth to come in. Adults tend to have jaw surgery to move the jaw forward. That is a series of very painful surgeries. If Raymond would want that for vanity's sake when he's older, that's his choice. I am not going to put him through that. Dr. Miller said he can remove a few of Raymond's permanent teeth in the back to make room for the other teeth. This is the best option for Raymond in our opinion. Dr. Miller and I also discussed Raymond's sharp teeth. All of Raymond's teeth are malformed on the top causing them to be very sharp. They are not decaying and are all very healthy - just incredibly sharp. This is something we need to address as soon as possible. Raymond has a tendency to bite his tongue. His tongue is often out (because he is a mouth breather) and he accidentally bites it. Dr. Miller and I discussed the danger of Raymond biting the major artery in his tongue. He told me that if that should happen I need to call 911 immediately. The scary thing is, he went on to say, that if Raymond would make it to the hospital, it would be a major operation to repair. Yes, he said, if he makes it to the hospital. So now, Raymond has to have all his teeth ground down so they are smooth on top. This will need to be done under sedation in the hospital. So now every time Raymond falls or bumps his head I'm worried I will see red! And guess what...

Raymond has discovered that he can get up on the furniture by himself. All I have to say about that is YIKES!

Isabella loves playing with her brother and sister!!!

Raymond is so gentle with Lily. Granted, you have to remind him when he's on the way over but I'm still so happy with how he's doing. Yesterday I was nursing Lily while Raymond was on the floor playing and Isabella was sleeping. Raymond bumped his head and was very upset. Luckily Lily was pretty much done eating so I picked Raymond up and held them both at the same time. I looked down and saw Raymond was holding Lily's hand. It was so precious! I wanted to take a picture so bad but I couldn't because I would have had to move one of them to get the camera. If Isabella would have been awake, I would have had her take the picture. She's good with the camera. Anyway, it was just SO SO SO cute. We sat there together like that for a long time.

For those who don't know, Isabella's preschool is in a church. The ladies quilting group was asking for fabric donations. I donated a TON of fabric to them since they could make better use of it then I was. I love to quilt and sew but I don't have a lot of time to do it. I knew these ladies would be very grateful for what I had to offer them. As a thank you, they made us a quilt for the kids. What a nice gesture.



Until Next Time!

Lots of Love,

1 comment:

Ellie said...

Okay, I had a day to calm down. I just want to say God Bless You, Erica, for staying calm and doing what you do for Raymond! I love spending time with Isabella, Raymond, and little Lily. Love the photos of those three little blessings.