“The only disability in life is a bad attitude.” -Scott Hamilton

"The only disability in life is a bad attitude." - Scott Hamilton

Sunday, March 27, 2011

What would you have done?

Two weekends ago we went to my Aunt Jeanne's house for a cookout. We cooked out but ate in. Isabella loves to go and play with Stephanie since she's a "big girl". Poor Stephanie. She's such a good sport! I'd also like to let everyone know some fantastic news. Many of you who read this know that my Uncle Chuck (my Aunt Jeanne's husband) has been under going treatments for bone cancer. He was recently told he is in remission! What a sigh of relief!




At Aunt Jeanne's house, Raymond was having so much fun and that he fell fast asleep.


Daddy is very comfy!


Lily thought a nap sounded like a good idea too.




So I have a question for all of you. What would you have done?


Isabella and I were having a conversation the other day and she asked me why Uncle Bobby, Aunt Lori and Alexander have to live so far away. I told her that Uncle Bobby and Aunt Lori have jobs in West Virginia and that's where Alexander's school is. I also explained that one day when she gets married that she might want or have to move far away with her husband. She stated that she wanted to live with me, Raymond and Lily forever. Then she thought for a second and added that she wants to live with Sadie forever too. Now, we all know dogs (or people for that matter) don't live forever. Would you have said okay and let it go? Or would you have taken the opportunity to explain to her that the dog won't live forever? Isabella is 4. Do you think she's old enough to have that conversation with? Want to know what I did? I decided to tell her that Sadie wouldn't live forever. I sat Isabella down in my lap and told her that dogs (and cats) age much faster then people. Because of that, they "go to heaven" sooner then their families and wait patiently for them. Isabella told me that made her sad and I explained that it was okay to feel sad because we love Sadie very much. I also told her that Sadie is very healthy and that as long as we continue to take really good care of her she will live for a long time. At bedtime, Isabella told Chris what we had talked about earlier in the day. He pretty much reiterated what I had already told her. Chris added that after Sadie would pass away, when we felt ready, we could get another dog to love and take care of. Isabella was happy with that and told Chris that she wants to go to a shelter to get our next dog. Chris told her that he thought that would be a great idea. (FYI - Sadie is from a rescue) So would you have explained that to to your 4 year old? Afterwards I thought maybe it was a little too deep for her. On the other hand, I really like to explain things to Isabella and teach her things in a factual way. She's very smart and absorbs so much information. I feel strongly she's so smart because we do explain things to her in an adult, yet appropriate, manner. I was just curious what everyone else thought.


On a totally different topic, Lily is getting so big!





Aunt Anna came for a visit with Grammy. She's REALLY ready for her little grand-daughter to arrive! Don't worry Aunt Anna, she'll be here anytime now!


Isabella started swim lessons last week. She's really enjoying it. She doesn't like opening her eyes under the water, but, like she tells me, she's getting used to it. Sorry these pictures are so dark. It's hard taking good pictures in the pool area. The parents wait in balcony area and watch. That's were these shots were taken.







This is Emmett. The poor little guy is terrified to get into the water. He doesn't want to have to put his head under water. His dad brings him and does such a good job of encouraging him but no luck so far. Isabella was talking to him and trying to convince him to go into the water. She was unsuccessful but I thought it was very sweet of her to try.





Raymond had a neurology appointment last Friday. He has been having a lot of trouble with his seizures. The doctor put him on an additional seizure medication. It makes him very groggy and out of it. I really hate that he needs to be on two seizure medications but I also don't want him to have seizures. It's the lesser of the two evils I guess. We've been slowly introducing the new medication and by next Saturday he will be on his full dose. We are hoping that creeping into it will help with some of the side effects. He's so sweet and we just worry about the little guy! I know he'll overcome this obstacle too!


Our April schedule is very busy. I'll do my best to post things a little quicker. We've had a lot of company over the past two weeks and I don't like to be on the computer while people are here. So I've been slow at posting. I hope everyone is doing well!



Until Next Time!


Lots of Love,

3 comments:

Aunt Anna said...

Yes, I am ready for my little granddaughter! Holding little Lily was so sweet! I also hated seeing Raymond so groggy but he is such a cutie and he still high fived me.
I had to laugh at Isabella's stories of her swimming lessons. She's so grown-up and caring.

Ellie said...

Great blog post. I love the video of Isabella in the pool. High five from me too! I think you handled Sadie (and all pets) dying very well, honestly and with compassion. Isabella is very intelligent and curious. Good job, mommy and daddy. Can I have a nap, too?

Anonymous said...

I feel you handled the pets "passing away" talk very well. It'll make it much easier for her when her pets do die, to know that they don't live forever and will go to "pet heaven". Not to say it won't be hard, but better for her to learn about it now at an earlier age.

Hope Raymond does better on his new meds. Poor little guy.

~Steph