“The only disability in life is a bad attitude.” -Scott Hamilton

"The only disability in life is a bad attitude." - Scott Hamilton

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Feeding Tube Awareness Week


This week happens to be Feeding Tube Awareness Week.  Most of you who read this blog know that Raymond has a feeding tube.  It was put in on March 19, 2010.  I can't believe it's been almost two years!  Before Raymond had a G-tube, he had an NG tube.  The difference is that the NG tube is a small tube inserted through the nostril and fed down into his belly.  The G-tube is permanently placed in the stomach.  We were happy to get rid of the NG tube because Raymond pulled it out all the time.  The feeding tube really improved Raymond's quality of life.  He stopped getting aspiration phenomena every month and started to gain weight.  Without the NG and G-tubes, Raymond would have never survived.  I strongly believe that.  

We get feeding and oxygen supplies delivered to our house once a month.  Often, we are sent the wrong supplies.  Chris and I hate to throw the items out but once it gets to us, the supply company won't take it back (even though the item's are unopened).  I've been trying to find somewhere to donate them.  I've called dozens of places and looked at so many websites.  All the places I've come across don't take G-tube supplies.  Finally, after over a year of looking, I've found somewhere to donate - G-PACT.  The kicker is, one of the locations is relatively local in Harleysville, PA.  I'm SO glad I came across them.

Until Next Time!
Lots Of Love, 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Erica,
I don't blame Raymond for trying to pull out the NG tube. I was very sick a few years ago and had to have an NG tube. Even on big doses of pain killers, that thing drove me crazy. I could always feel it and it made my throat hurt. I was certain they used a garden hose instead of small tubing. I am so happy Raymond got a stomach tube.
Mary

Ellie said...

Even though I'm always so worried the g-tube will come out while I'm watching him, it has certainly helped him grow into the handsome young boy he is today! I love it when he grabs the tube and tries to put it on himself at feeding time, then wants to start up his machine. I can't wait for him to be able to feed himnself though. That will be a huge milestone in his life.