“The only disability in life is a bad attitude.” -Scott Hamilton

"The only disability in life is a bad attitude." - Scott Hamilton

Friday, September 28, 2012

Weekly Therapy Update

Raymond didn't have much therapy this week.  He has had several appointments that have taken up the entire day.  On Tuesday we saw cardiology.  Raymond was a good boy for his echo cardiogram.  Everything looked good from a cardio stand point.  The problems that Raymond is currently experiencing, in his opinion, are all pulmonary.  Dr. A. said he doesn't need to see Raymond back for a year unless he starts to have problems.  Let's hope not!!!
Raymond (along with Isabella and Lily) has been fighting a cold.  In one week he lost 4 pounds.  He looks so gaunt and skinny.  Hopefully he gains it back quickly.
Yesterday Raymond went to see Dr. Halligan at the oncology clinic in Philadelphia.  They had to drawl blood to look at his CBC, and the nurses had a very hard time getting a vein.  By the time they were done, I was dripping with sweat from holding him down.  The poor kid screamed and thrashed with all his might.  Raymond is VERY strong when he wants to be - it took three of us to hold him down.  I do not have to results from the blood test yet.  I will at some point today.  Dr. Halligan told me that Raymond still has a 1 in 4 chance of the Cutaneous Leukemia turning into AML (Acute Myeloid Leukemia) until he is a teen.  This is the type of Leukemia that most of the kids in the St. Jude's commercials have (as a point of reference).  When I hear about the blood work, I'll be sure to let you know how it looks.  I'm suspecting that it will look the same as last time.
Dr. Halligan gave Raymond two brand new toys, a stethoscope and about 400 tongue depressors.  He is such a nice man.  I did notice however, that his hand was really shaking while he was examining Raymond.  The last time we saw him, I didn't notice that.  Selfishly, I hope that doesn't mean he won't be practicing much longer.  He has been head of the pediatric oncology department for 38 years.  If Dr. Halligan would leave, so would I.  He is the ONLY reason I go back down to that hospital.  I would switch to Hershey, then all of his doctor's would be in one place. 

*** 
 
Raymond did see Stacy once, but was not very cooperative.  Hopefully today's therapy goes better!
 
"Raymond said sun and bus : )  We worked on labeling and show me where's ___________ (specific objects) 50%.  Raymond was not feeling well today.  Worked on blowing and counting birthday candles."
-Stacy, Special Instruction
09/26/2012
 
 
Until Next Time!
Lots of Love,


2 comments:

Ellie said...

Poor little Raymnond when they have to draw blood. Poor you and the nurses too! I hope Dr Halligan is okay. I know how much he relates to Raymond and how confident you are with him. But that trip to Philly is brutal. Hope all are better today. I'm bringing soup broth to help those runny noses. Can we add some to Raymond's IV bag? LOL

Aunt Anna said...

I pray for the whole family every day but I always say a special one just for Raymond. It's sad when he has setbacks (like his cold last week) but it's good to hear good news from his doctors. Raymond is such a sweetie.