“The only disability in life is a bad attitude.” -Scott Hamilton

"The only disability in life is a bad attitude." - Scott Hamilton

Monday, January 31, 2011

I Think I've Fixed The Problem!

First of all, I think I've fixed the problem some of you have been having with posting comments. Yay! Thank you so much to everyone for all the emails with comments since you weren't able to leave them on the blog. I really appreciate it! You guys are the best!

Raymond had his first doctors appointment with the new pediatrician today. We were there for almost 3 hours! She was very nice and very thorough. She made Raymond a cardiology appointment for this Friday. She told me his heart rate is still irregular and very slow. She felt strongly that Raymond should have had heart surgery by now. A little background for anyone who might not know...Raymond had been seeing the cardiology department at St. Christopher's. Two different doctors had seen him and they disagreed on what was wrong with Raymond's heart. So they really didn't do anything productive. Dr. K. (the new pediatrician) said that since the two doctors disagreed, that it was even more reason that they should have at least done some type of exploratory surgery to figure it out. Chris and I have often said we would rather Raymond have heart surgery sooner than later. His recovery will be more difficult if he's trying to move and groove all over the place. Dr. K. spoke with the cardiologist on the phone while I was there and he seemed to think that surgery needed to happen soon also. So it looks like I may be scheduling that on Friday.

Raymond also now has a ophthalmology appointment scheduled for next week. Dr. K. said his one retina is still partially detached and that his one eye looks different then the other. I have noticed that before. It's more pronounced some days then others. Why, I'm not sure. We went over a lot of information. We're feeling very disappointed with Raymond's old pediatrician for not noticing more of these problems and/or being more proactive. I had told Chris that for the last couple of months I felt like Dr. H. hadn't been on top of things with Raymond. Apparently, I was right. I had questioned her about certain issues and didn't get real concise or detailed answers. I'll give you an example. We have been concerned about Raymond's weight. Dr. Williams at Hershey's Feeding Clinic hasn't been real involved with Raymond these last couple of months because of Raymond's pulmonology issues. Until Raymond is off of oxygen he isn't going to be attempting to eat by mouth. This was a group decision between Dr. Williams, the pulmonologist, the gastroenterologist and Chris and myself. (Raymond only saw Dr. Williams once before going back on oxygen - so we didn't get very far. I really look forward to jumping back into with him when Raymond is able.) Since Dr. Williams has taken a temporary step back, we wanted to make sure Raymond's weight and size weren't being neglected. Dr. H. basically said not to worry about it - he's fine. Well, I don't know about you but I don't think it's okay that Raymond has weighed 19lbs. for approximately 8 months. That's a big deal...right? We are Raymond's voice and she wasn't hearing it. Dr. K. has changed the way we feed Raymond. She will be informing Dr. Williams of the change to get his opinion. The volume Raymond gets is the same but she bumped up the calories. Hopefully he tolerates the change well. I think he will. He's my tough guy! So along with these things we covered about 1,000 more. I left her office feeling like we really made the best decision for Raymond. Dr. K. also agreed that switching Raymond's care to Hershey was a big step in the right direction. We love our little guy so much and want the best for him. I'll keep fighting for what we feel is right for him no matter who we have to replace or who I have to talk to about it. Don't mess with this Mommy! : )



Isabella, Raymond and I are supposed to head to Philadelphia tomorrow to stay over for Raymond's appointments on Wednesday. It looks like the appointments might be postponed again. They are calling for snow and ice. I really, really, really don't want to have to reschedule again but there isn't anything I can do about it. Mother nature doesn't have an answering service.



In a totally different direction, I wanted to share a recipe with you. Tonight for dinner I made Mexican Shrimp Bisque. It was extremely easy and very yummy. If you don't like shrimp, I think it would be very good with chicken breast substituted. I doubled the recipe.

Mexican Shrimp Bisque

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 cup water
½ cup heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. chicken bouillon cubes
½ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. ground coriander
½ pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
½ cup sour cream
Fresh cilantro and cubed avocado, optional



1. In a large saucepan, sauté the onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in the water, heavy cream, chili powder, bouillon, cumin and coriander; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Cut the shrimp into bite-size pieces; add to the soup. Simmer 5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink.
3. Gradually stir ½ cup hot soup into sour cream; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Heat through (do not boil). Garnish with cilantro and avocado if desired.
***
I hope you enjoy this recipe too! I also made a HUGE pot of beef stock tonight to freeze. Chris requested Beef Barley Soup so I'll make that sometime soon but I need a few things from the store first. Well, tomorrow is February. Can you believe it? Sorry this post doesn't include any pictures. More to come soon. I have some fun things planned for us. Stay warm everyone!


Until Next Time!
Lots of Love,

2 comments:

Ellie said...

Thanks for the update. Yes, lots of changes but they sound like they are all for the better. Raymond is tough but still has a long road ahead of him. But with his mommy fighting for him every step of the way, he'll come out ahead. Thank you for taking such good care of Chris and the kids (all 3), now, go take care of YOU!!p.s. Soup sounds good with chicken.

Aunt Anna said...

Yes, don't mess with this mommy!
Hope you have a good February.
Aunt Anna