“The only disability in life is a bad attitude.” -Scott Hamilton

"The only disability in life is a bad attitude." - Scott Hamilton

Friday, December 30, 2011

Holly Hives!

Yesterday was like anyother. I did laundry, played games with the kids, did some crafts with them and figured out what to make for dinner. Lily has had a runny nose. Her cheeks were looking a little rosy but she didn't have a fever. She fell asleep so I laid her down in her crib and folded more laundry. My neighbor came over and Sadie started to bark at the door bell which woke Lily up. When I went in to get Lily, she had hives on her face. I looked at them and thought it was strange but I finished with my neighbor and put Lily in her highchair. I was giving her puffs and noticed she had hives on her hands and arms. I undressed her and this is what I found...



She had gigantic hives everywhere (and the pictures don't even do them justice). I called her pediatrician and he told me to give her Benadryl and call him in the morning. So we ran to Target and bought Benadryl. A little later when I changed her diaper, the hives on her legs were worse and seeping. Lily wasn't uncomfortable and they didn't seem to be bothering her at all but I decided to take her to the hospital just in case.

The doctor's there told me they were really large hives and it could be viral or an allergic reaction. Lily had food with cranberries in it for the first time earlier in the day so that could potentially be the culprit. The doctor gave her more Benadryl and told me to keep an eye on them. She said it would probably take a few days for them to go away completely. The doctor recommended after all the hives clear, to give her that same food (since Lily was in no pain) and if she gets hives again then we will know what they were from. If she doesn't get hives then we know it was viral.

I will say that Lily was charming everyone. All the doctor's and nurses were making such a fuss over her. I heard a nurse say "Did you see the doll-baby in 16?", which was our room number. Lily is such a happy girl! It's infectious! We love her!!!


Until Next Time!

Lots of Love,

3 comments:

Aunt said...

Poor Lily! Stay away from those bad cranberries (if that indeed what caused the hives). Lily sure is a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, poor little sweetie pie. She is so patient and good-natured so I'm not surprised everyone loved her at the hospital. I guess you can't have cranberries either, then, huh? See you tomorrow.

Ellie said...

I'm glad she was okay yesterday when I visited. Lily is such a smiley little girl!! Try to stay warm. I'll see you on Thursday.