“The only disability in life is a bad attitude.” -Scott Hamilton

"The only disability in life is a bad attitude." - Scott Hamilton

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Home from St. Christopher's

Raymond had tubes and a BAER study done at St. Christopher's Children's Hospital on Tuesday. I went thinking it would be easy and it ended up being a mess. His surgery was scheduled at 6am and they didn't take him back until almost 8:15am. So we snuggled while we waited. When the doctor came out to tell me the surgery was over he also informed me that everything hadn't gone as planned. While Raymond was under anesthesia his breathing became very labored and they had to intubate him and put him on a ventilator to breath for him. He was on the ventilator for about an hour before they took him off. So that was an unexpected complication. When I was sitting with Raymond in the recovery area I noticed that he had some bruising that wasn't there before he went in. The anesthesiologist called Dr. Halligan (Raymond's Oncologist) to come take a look at him because they thought maybe his blood count was low. Dr. H took a peak at him and took some blood. He seemed agitated that they hadn't preformed any blood work before surgery given Raymond's medical history. Anyway, the blood work came back okay. Dr. H told us his only conclusion could be that they were too rough with Raymond during surgery. That was the last thing I wanted to hear. While I was talking to Dr. H the nurse started to give Raymond some Pedialyte through his G-tube. When she went to walk away, she stepped on the tubing and ripped the G-tube out of Raymond's stomach totally. What a scream he let out! So they immediately paged Raymond's regular surgeon, Dr. Arthur, to come and reinsert it. I don't know who was more upset about it, Dr. Halligan, Dr. Arthur or myself. Well, I guess realistically it was Raymond. So poor Raymond had a very rough day.
The ENT also came to speak with me about the BAER test. She said that Raymond was showing moderate hearing loss in his left ear and mild in his right ear. This is slightly better then his last test. The nerve in Raymond's ear seems to be functioning fine. So the conclusion is that Raymond has conductive hearing loss. Raymond's ear canals are so small and they also didn't develop normally. With that being said, the sound waves are not able to properly make their way through the ear canal. This is a type of hearing loss that will not correct itself and will never get better. The reason that his hearing is slightly better then the last time they preformed the test is that they cleaned out a lot of fluid and debris. Raymond will require hearing aids for life. We go back and see the ENT in a month to talk about that process further.
After I brought Raymond home he developed a rash all over his face. We took a few pictures but none of them turned out real great. It's hard to tell just how bad it was in the pictures.


It kept getting worse and worse. The poor little guy looked like a raccoon. I called the hospital and couldn't get a hold of anyone! I left several messages and still haven't heard anything. This is one of many incidences that have made Chris and I very upset with the hospital. I am in the process of writing a letter the the hospital administration about our dissatisfaction. I'm going to take a few days to write it so I don't leave anything out. I don't want to send it and then remember something that I should have included. Hopefully our transition to Hershey Medical Center goes smoothly. I think we will keep seeing Dr. Halligan at St. Chris but that's it.

On a brighter note, Isabella went into preschool a cute little girl and came out a cute little puppy!

Until Next Time!

Lots of Love,

Erica

No comments: